Monday, December 20, 2010

In the Land of Oz

I often refer to the Crown Heights bubble as bizzaro world. Everything is backwards in my mind. Now I will admit that I lived this bubble life for many years. And because of this it is very easy for me to criticize. I spend a lot of my time now observing the bubble and trying to see if the stereotypes I make up in my head truly exist. In many cases they do, however come in some rare cases they don't. For example I spend a lot of time talking about the Gehzees and in many cases the things I say are true, but their our those rare occurrences when I meet a Gehzee that doesn't fall into the bubble life style. Or so I think.
I have begun to realize that many of my Gehzee friends are very cool people. That is when the are not in the bubble. When we go out they are fun and hip and enjoy many of the same things I do. However once we return to the Shtetl they fall right back into the bubble as if what people think really matters. The point is be who you are, live as you want to live, cause in the long run living for others will only cause you to miss out on the life you want to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment