Monday, December 20, 2010

This One Time at 770

This one time at 770...Everyone who knows me understands that much of my blog comes from social observations and personal experience...they are all made well aware that everything is bloggable unless it has been discuss that it is not bloggable. Most of the time everything is bloggable and even if it isn't, I have found ways to blog without blogging too much! With that said here it is...
I am really not the type to hang out at 770. In fact in the past six months I have only been their twice. Once on Yud Tes Kislev, because I promised a friends mother I would stop in for her and once to show a friend the inner workings of 770 the holy of holies. For this post we will discuss the latter.
It was a Tuesday evening and after finishing dinner with a Crown Heights outsider, she asked if I would take her to see 770. I thought to myself whats the harm I'll walk in she can oohh and ahhh and that will be that. I was sooo wrong!!! We walked in, she got her chance to oohh and ahhh...and then it happened we were spotted by a Crown Heights crazy. Yes Moshiach pin and all...she found us and we were in her sights. It was almost like a submarine bomber was about to hit us. As she walked over I prepared myself...ignore ignore ignore...and then it happened.
"Excuse me ladies are you Jewish." now my friend is not Jewish and I could already see that she was about to say no so I quickly stepped in. "Yes we are." "Oh is this your first time here." Quick on your feet Chava Leiba...don't let her get a word in..."No we are lubavitch." "Oh" says the crazy..."Well have you ever written to the Rebbe, show your friend its very easy." Ok now Im starting to get pissed shut the hell up lady and leave us alone is going through my head...and then it just came out of my mouth as she started to hand me a book of the Rebbes letters..."We go to the Ohel." I though her Moshiach pin was going to fly off...but she said gut nacht and walked away.
After all of this my friend said to me..."Why did you lie to her, I am not Jewish and you no longer consider yourself a member of Lubavitch." This was my answer...
You have to know who you are dealing with and in this case to tell the truth we start a scene in which neither of us would ever be able to get out of. My using my lubav card I was able to avoid what would have been and even more uncomfortable encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment